The Mixology Wine Wine Seminar
If you are a bartending school graduate and need job placement assistance or refresher courses, please visit our Bartending School partner
We started the Wine Seminars at Mixology Wine in 2003, and this was primarily because there was a demand for more Wine Knowledge. We really wanted our graduates to have an in depth understanding of not just how to serve and pair wine, but why wine is vital to the profits of so many bars, we cover:
- Differences in production between Red, White, and Rose Wines.
- General Characteristics of Different Varietals, from Pinot Noir to Cabernet Sauvignon
- Flavor and Profile Contrasts of Old World and New World Wines
- Wine Cellar Basics
- Storing and Preserving Opened Wine
- Learning and Appraising a Wine List Quickly
- Wine and Food Pairings
- The Order and Etiquette of Opening and Presenting Wine
- Wine and Cheese Tasting
Wine knowledge is very important for two reasons. The first is that there’s very little branding when it comes to wine, besides Yellowtail and Dom Perignon or Veuve Cliquot, most people are hard pressed to think of a wine to order, the way they’ll think of Patron or Johnny Walker. Guests need to be guided to the best wine based on what they want to spend.
The second reason is that Wine will oxidize. In fact, typically the price of a glass of wine at a bar, will be how much the bar spent on the bottle itself, wholesale. They don’t know if they can sell more than one glass before the bottle oxidizes, like an apple turns brown if left out, so they cut their losses. The means that every glass that you sell as a bartender is pure profit for where you work, and if you make the most profits, you’ll get the best shifts.